Thursday, May 23, 2013

How "Music" Got Her Name

As other cruisers have commented, the name of your boat is IMPORTANT. For example, I am terrible with remembering a  person's name, but I can remember a boat name. Some kind of male mental block, like I can remember who blew the save in game 4 of the '86 ALCS (Red Sox Calvin Schiraldi), but I forget to call my sister on her birthday. Not that unusual, you say? She's my TWIN SISTER! So, anyway, not being able to remember your name, I will call you by your boat name, as in "Hi, you're "Passing Wind" aren't you? How ya' doin?" Regret naming the boat "Passing Wind" yet? How about you have to get on the radio and call the Newport harbormaster? "Newport Harbormaster, this is "Passing Wind", do you have a mooring available?" If the wind is out of the north, I'm figuring your getting the mooring in the south end of the harbor.

From personal experience, my first family sailboat was made possible by an inheritance from my great uncle Salvatore. We named her "Lod Zio", which is Italian for "the uncle". Which I had to explain to anyone who saw the transom. Always felt I should do it with a few wads of cotton in my cheeks, like Brando in "The Godfather". My next boat was a small steel tug which came with the moniker "Harbor Hobo". Actually fit the boat well, with her black hull, red topside, white roof and baggywrinkle (fuzzy bumper) on the bow. However, it didn't pass the VHF test. It's sort of like naming a puppy, or a child. You should stand on your front step and yell the name at the top of your lungs for all the world to hear. If you don't slink back inside, the name's a keeper. "Booger! Here Booger! Time for supper!" might not pass for your son, or Rottweiler. (As an aside, once or twice a year I bump into Boog Powell, former Orioles great, at the local Safeway. Sometimes you can overcome a name.) So, for the name of my tug, you try it out. Say "Newport Marina, Newport Marina, this is Harbor Hobo, Harbor Hobo, over." I dare you not to sound like Gilda Radner doing Barbara Walters.

So, we needed a name we would be happy having yelled on the radio, or across a crowded bar. "Hey, [boat name here!] Come sit with us!"

As many of you who have spent a long night watch alone, or spent hours in your car driving, or whatever, you know that nature abhors a vacuum. Or more specifically, there is only so much quiet time you can take. Sooner or later, you need to drown out the voices in your head. (I think they're in my head. Unless you hear them too?) A lot of people use the music, talk radio, or books on tape. But what if this isn't an option? When I was a young Officer of the Deck in the Navy, I stood many a bridge watch at night.  No iPods allowed. (OK, Walkman, but I am dating myself). So I was stuck humming tunes to myself. My repertoire consisted of a bunch of Buffett tunes and the like. One favorite was CSN's "Southern Cross". I had some wonderful nights standing at the rail at 3 am, somewhere between Australia and Hawaii, humming that tune as its namesake shone overhead. Now, I'm not usually very good at remembering the EXACT lyrics to a song. Check out the website www.kissthesky.com and you'll get a flavor of what I mean. But I learned all of Southern Cross. Some great lines in there. And now the punchline. "She's all that I have left, and "MUSIC" is her name." While "Music" is definitely not "all that I have left", as I count my loving wife and family as my greatest assets, I like the name. I think it fits. Tricia also reminds me that Music is Music in many foreign languages. The spelling may differ but phonetically, it sounds the same. So when the island chief asks "What is the name of your vessel?, I won't inadvertently insult his ancestors, or something.

As I mentioned, I like music and singing. No real formal training or talent. A few years in high school choir, and roles in high school musicals, perhaps. But, no real skill. Tricia, on the other hand, plays piano and sings well. Lots of formal training in her youth. And some acting and singing in high school as well. Cary and Ginny take after Tricia. Both play piano. Cary plays French Horn, Trombone and is learning Trumpet. Ginny plays Clarinet and plans to learn guitar, trumpet and conch shell. Both qualified and played in the All Shore Band in 8th and 9th grades. Both also have three middle school musicals, with great roles, in their resume. So the name Music seemed appropriate. We'll be bringing a keyboard, guitar, trumpet, clarinet, and harmonica with us. Cary may have to share her bunk with her French Horn. Not quite a Tuba, but that thing is big! I hope to learn a little more how to read music and perhaps play an instrument. Tricia will finally have some time to play piano (I love to hear her play). And Ginny has plans to use the iPad and GarageBand when the muse grabs her.

So, if you see me walking into "Foxys" on Jost Van Dyke, give us a shout "Hey, Music! Come join us!"

Mat


No comments:

Post a Comment