Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Finding the Right Boat (a matter of opinion, perhaps)

Let me tell a little story. Back in the fall of 2011 we started looking for a "bluewater cruiser". Based on our reading, we felt something in the 40-50 range would be adequate for Tricia and I, Cary and Ginny. We went to the Annapolis Boat Show and looked at several boats that were out of our price range. Research on bluewater cruisers often pointed to heavier, full keel boats. While I understand the logic, as a former racer, I couldn't bring myself to own a boat that doesn't sail well. I knew I didn't want something too light, but it should be able to make 7-8 knots in 15 knots of wind, and should be able to sail upwind. I combed the on-line listings. Older Sabres, Sagas and some custom IORs were in our price range, but we always managed to find something wrong with them. A few years earlier, I bid on a Navy 44 sloop. For performance, it met my goals, but there would be ALOT of work to refit the interior for something more civilized than a gang of mids. But that may give you a frame of reference for what was in my head. We looked at a nice Nordic 40 at a local marina. The write-up on the Robert Perry design was everything I wanted, but, frankly, it was too small. Then I saw a Nordic 44 offered in Virginia. Performance bluewater cruiser, solid design and construction, lots of great referrals. So, we looked up Irvington, VA on GoogleMaps, and took a drive.

So Irvington is on the Northern Neck in Virginia between the Potomac and the Rappahanock Rivers. After crossing the Harry Nice Bridge, we banged a left. The scenery got more and more rural as we went. I commented to Tricia that this boat was at the end of the earth and we were bound to get a great deal. No one else would ever drive out to see this boat. Not to be. As we got close, we stumbled on a vineyard, then an idyllic little artsy town. Who knew there was a bridge across the Rappahanock that lands in Irvington? Doh! So, we found the little yacht yard, and the boat. I hate to say it, but I fell in love. The seat at the helm felt right. The lines looked like she would track well and handle a sea. The rig was tall and powerful. As it was a cold December day, we didn't spend too much time topside and went below. The layout looked good. Large V berth, good size quarter berth that can be closed off for privacy. Well laid out U shaped galley, and a large salon and table. Two heads, aft head with a separate shower. (I never liked showering in the head and getting water all over the sink and head.) Good access to the engine. We liked it enough that we decided to make an offer. Did I mention the price was in our range? I wasn't able to negotiate a killer deal, but got enough of a bargain to feel good in a depressed market. Seller accepted. Now on to the survey.

My Dad is an experienced Marine Surveyor, and offered to come up from Florida, in the WINTER, and survey the Nordic 44. The first date that worked for us, and the weather supported, was mid-January 2011. He spent 2 1/2 days going over the boat from stem to stern. Unfortunately, the list of issues identified was getting pretty long:

  1. Mast step corroded-replace
  2. Chainplates corroded, evidence of damage to bulkheads- remove and replace
  3. Moisture in deck on both sides near chainplates, balsa core damaged- remove and replace
  4. Gooseneck a rusty mess- remove and replace
  5. etc.
On his recommendation, we stopped the survey and notified the broker that we would NOT be buying this boat today. As a matter of fact, I believe his words were "Mat, don't buy this boat."

So we went and looked at other boats. In our price range, most that met our needs had the same or similar problems readily apparent. One that we drove to see in Snug Harbor at the end of Long Island was supposedly 80% through a refit and a real steal. When we got there, the boat was a disaster. The broker had the nerve to say "You didn't really believe me did you, that was "broker speak". No worries, some idiot will buy this boat." Well, not THIS idiot. Jerk!

We did find a boat in Tortola, a Beneteau Idyll 13.5 in captained charter. Boat didn't strike my fancy, but it had many recent upgrades and was ready to sail away. So we made an offer, and he accepted. Then the fun started. After about 3 weeks of back and forth, "Can I sell it to you, but keep it until June, I just booked another charter?" "Hey, I just added a new sheet, we need to adjust the price.", I got fed up. As I was sending him another reply, I asked my broker to send the broker for the Nordic 44 a low ball, take it or leave it, as is offer. To my surprise, he took it. So we stopped dealing with the guy in Tortola, and focused on how to buy, deliver to Kent Island and repair our new boat. In the meantime, I am starting my new job at the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant, beginning with a 75 day refueling outage. six 13 hour days a week for 2 1/2 months. As soon as I recovered, we were ready to close on the sale and bring "Gratitude" to Annapolis in early April. A few days of prep, change the hoses and fluids on the engine, have the fuel in the tank cleaned, check all the nav gear and thru hulls, and we were ready to MOTOR to Annapolis. (BoatUS would not insure it for sailing until the chainplates and mast step were repaired.)




No comments:

Post a Comment